I’m on bit of a health kick at the moment so have been trying to put together a healthy, low calorie, lean diet plan. I’m trying to stick to low fat, healthy options in the hope of feeling better on the inside and looking in decent shape on the outside!
I’m not particularly trying to shed lots of pounds however I do want to tone up, keep fit and keep lean. So I’m looking at foods that are healthy, nutritional and will help keep the fat away!! If you are trying to lose weight or keep a steady weight, diet is one of the most important factors. Exercising alone won’t get you the results you need and it’s all in the foods you eat. At the end of the day, if you don’t have the energy (from food) to help you burn off that excess fat, then its not going to work, and you will actually end up becoming really unhealthy. There needs to be a strong balance between what you are putting into your body, and your physical activity and both need to go hand in hand.
I recently came across Bulgur Wheat and like Quinoa, it has a high nutritional value. Bulgur wheat is 100% whole wheat and is a fantastic source of fibre, protein, iron and vitamin B. It’s also really filling so you only need to eat small portions! I put together this little dish, and found it to be so tasty so decided to share it!
What you need:
- Pack of Bulgur Wheat
- 2-3 Peppers (mix)
- 1 red onion
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- Halloumi cheese
- Handful of parsley
- Coconut oil
- Stock cube
- Garlic and ginger
How to make it:
- Wash and chop up the peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes and spinach
- In a large frying pan, add half a tablespoon of coconut oil and all of the chopped vegetables
- Stir fry on a low heat and add one chopped up garlic clove and a few slices of fresh ginger
- To make the bulgur wheat, add about one handful of the wheat per person into a pan and add cold water above the level of bulgur wheat. Add to stove and bring the water to boil. Cover the pan and lower heat to allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Also add a stock cube and stir in
- Once the bulgur wheat is cooked, drain the water and add it to the vegetable frying pan and gently stir into the veg.
Once that has been cooking for a few minutes, prepare a few slices of halloumi cheese to lay on top. Simply cut a few slices of the cheese and grill them for a few minutes, until they start to turn brown. Lay them on top and sprinkle some washed parsley on top and your are ready to eat!
This meal only takes about half an hour to make, so really simple and easy! Enjoy!