The process of removing gel nail polish or even any kind of artificial nail can be really tiring on your nails, the nail beds, the cuticles and even your fingers and hands.
Removing gel nail polish from your nail as shown in the last post “DIY: Gel Nail Polish Removal”, or going to the salon to get them removed are the least damaging methods. Peeling polish off can remove the top layers of your nail making them thinner and prone to further damage. The process of getting a gel manicure itself can actually wear down your nails and furthermore, getting them removed can enhance this, and even dry out your skin by subjecting your fingers to pure acetone.
Here’s some simple steps you can take to help keep your nails strong after gel nail polish
Check out my previous post “Rescue your hands and nails this winter” to find out how steps 2 & 3 work on your nails and cuticles.
Some other things you can do:
– Next time you apply nail polish, use an acetone-free nail polish remover. There are many that don’t contain this chemical and instead are enriched with vitamins such as Vitamin E.
– Use a nail and cuticle moisturiser, oil or treatment frequently. I highly recommend the OPI Avoplex range for great hand and nail treatments containing the almighty vitamin- enriching Avocado!
– Massage your nails regularly and buff them. This keeps the surface smooth and maintains a healthy blood flow to the nail to encourage replenishment and growth.
– After removing a gel manicure, leave your nails to rest! Whilst it is so tempting to constantly paint our nails, particularly when procrastinating or bored, after gels, give your nails a chance to breathe, and let them restore themselves to all their goodness.
– Cut your nails short and let them grow again. One of the best things to do for your nails occasionally is to just cut them short, and let them begin growing again. They will grow back healthier!
I hope you find this useful!
I love it!! I really like your blog!
You’ve got a new follower on Bloglovin! Hope you’ll follow me back! ♥
Thank you so much Nathalie!! I really like your blog too, you have gorgeous style! I’ve followed you on Bloglovin 🙂 Thank you for the follow!