Taking care of your skin can become costly, and although expensive products are generally very effective, sometimes we just don’t have the money for it! Nose strips and facial peels are no exception to this. This particular product can become quite addictive to use due to its fun application, removal and the results you see after. By this, I mean people actually get addicted to seeing what these strips have removed, because they work wonders at getting rid of those ugly blackheads!
Nose pore strips vary in price depending on the brand and ingredients, for example Boots Tea Tree and Witch hazel Nose Strips (6 pack) are £4.99 and they are only for use on the nose. And if you like to use them regularly, the cost builds up.
So for the whole-hearted, addicted-to-nose strips kind of people, here is a very simple, very cheap homemade recipe for nose pore strips, that can also be used anywhere else on your face. A pore peel/strip should be done on a clean face so cleanse your skin beforehand.
What you will need:
– Gelatine (Preferably powdered not leaf)
– Milk (Any)
– Microwavable bowl/ container
– Application brush/ Makeup brush/ Cotton wool
These are ingredients that you are most likely to find in your kitchen cupboards and fridge, but if not, gelatine is very cheap. I bought my Dr. Oetker Gelatine from Tesco for £1.09, and if you have run out of milk, you can just use water! You can actually get two tablespoons of gelatine from one sachet of the Dr. Oetker Gelatine- great value for money!
1. Add one tablespoon of gelatine powder to a microwavable bowl, and then add one and a half tablespoons of milk. Mix the two together. This mixture may be slightly lumpy.
2. Heat the mixture in the microwave for only 10 seconds. You will notice the mixture become warm and slightly more runny. Make sure it is warm and not hot.
3. Using a face mask brush or a cotton wool ball, dip into the mixture and apply to your nose, cheeks, chin or wherever you feel there are blackheads. Make sure to avoid the eye area, as this is sensitive. Apply a few coats (or apply it quite thick on your skin).
If you use a makeup brush, rinse it immediately as the gelatine can harden and ruin the bristles.
4. Wait for around 15-20 mins for the mixture to dry on your face. It may be a shorter time, but wait until you can feel it dry.
5. Once the mixture is dry and hard to touch, you can then peel it gently from your face. Pull from the edges to the centre of the strip.
6. Once you have finished taking off the peel, use water to remove any excess from your skin. You may find your skin is a little red after, so in that case splash your face with cold water or wet a flannel and dab that over your skin to cool it down.
7. Finish with toning your skin and moisturising.
The fun part is looking at your peel and seeing all the excess oils, dirt and blackheads it has removed! You will find that some tiny hairs will have been picked up as well.
Vegan or vegetarian? Can’t use the ingredients stated above?
Not to worry at all. Some of the ingredients may not be suitable for everyone and so there are some substitutes that are just as effective:
Gelatine —> Pure honey (one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of milk)
Gelatine —> Agar Agar powder (vegan friendly)
Milk —> Water
Milk —> Lemon juice
If you don’t have gelatine lying around in the kitchen cupboard then you can always use an egg. This method couldn’t be easier. Simply separate the egg and using an application brush, apply the egg white to your skin, let that dry for about 10 minutes and peel off in the same way. Egg white pore strips are particularly good at fighting blackheads and tightening up the skin.
– Removes unwanted blackheads, dirt and excess oils from pores.
– Acts as a great exfoliator of the skin.
– Doing this process once a week (no more than this) will keep your pores healthier, unclogged and blackhead-free. Pores tend to get blocked because of a build up of sebum (skin oil), dirt from surroundings and dead skin cells. This will reduce the chance of acne formation and blemishes.
– Rejuvenates your skin and leaves it feeling smooth and looking radiant.
– Chemical free- using natural ingredients that are skin-friendly.
Give it a go, and let me know what you think!