A dry and itchy scalp can be really problematic because not only is it irritating, but it can also encourage dandruff to appear. And we don’t like dandruff. Your scalp can become dry for a number of reasons, so if you’re suffering from this, look into some of these causes:
– Reaction to the shampoo you are using, or a hair product (particularly if you’re trying a new one that could be irritating your scalp)
– Over-styling and over-hairdrying
– A skin condition such as dermatitis or eczema
– The weather or the temperature of your surroundings indoors- too hot and too cold
– Over-washing and under-washing your hair
– The temperature of the water you are using to wash your hair- it shouldn’t be overly hot
If you find yourself pulling your hair out over the itchiness of your scalp or are just starting to see too much dandruff for your liking, try out this effective homemade scalp treatment that soothes your skin and fights the irritation.
What you will need:
– Coconut Oil (Pure or extra virgin)
– Tea Tree Oil
– Almond Oil
– Small saucepan and Bowl
– Towel, shower cap or cling film (optional)
1. Add one tablespoon of Coconut Oil to the saucepan, and let the oil melt on a low heat
2. Once melted, add one tablespoon of Almond Oil to the saucepan
3. Let the mixture warm up together for a few minutes without letting it boil and keep stirring
4. Remove from the heat and put into a bowl or container you are going to use. This mixture is best made at the time you are going to use it however if you want to make more, adjust the quantities and store away in a cool dry place and reheat when needed.
5. Add 5-7 drops of Tea Tree Oil to the mixture and stir in
6. Whilst the mixture is warm, using your hands, apply the treatment to your scalp and massage. The massaging will encourage the blood circulation in your scalp and help the oils to be absorbed. Make sure you cover your whole scalp and apply generously
7. You now need to gather your hair and clip it or tie it up. If using a towel, soak the towel in warm water, wring it out and wrap your hair in the towel (as you would after you’ve washed your hair). This warms up and keeps the treatment warm whilst on your scalp, and encourages the oils to work deeper. You can use a shower cap by just putting it over your hair without warming it and instead of wrapping your hair in a towel, you can use cling film which keeps the treatment airtight and warm. Note- this is an optional step, but it just boosts the effect of the treatment
8. Leave the treatment in your hair for at least 30 mins (i’ve left mine overnight before and that is also fine) and rinse out with your normal shampoo using lukewarm water. Avoid over-washing your hair just to get the oil out, you can always wash it again the next day which is much better for your scalp and hair
9. Let your hair and scalp dry naturally and do not apply direct heat straight away
The benefits of this treatment
Sometimes the most effective treatments can be made at home and this one is so good at fighting causes of dandruff and an itchy scalp. The ingredients are not expensive, very easy to find in any health foods shop and is also easy to make. The Coconut Oil is so effective at penetrating deep into the skin and hair root, nourishing from within creating a softness and immediate moisturisation. Almond Oil is enriching and moisturising, and most importantly for this treatment, fights inflammation. Almond oil has a high fatty acids content and therefore softens the scalp tissue and improves blood circulation which reduces inflammation. Tea Tree Oil is a natural yet as much effective treatment for many skin problems. Tea Tree Oil fights bacterial and fungal infections which could cause scalp conditions and dandruff, and also works by unclogging hair follicles and scouring off dead skin cells. All of which play a major role in an irritable scalp. Tea Tree Oil should be used in smalls amounts and also diluted with other oils or water, as overuse can worsen a skin problem.
I really love this treatment and it does so well to keep your scalp nourished, healthy and dandruff-free.
Try it out and let me know what you think!